How can I view my WiFi password on Android without using a QR code?

I forgot my WiFi password and can’t use the QR code option. I need to connect another device to my network but have no idea where to find it on my Android phone. Is there a way to see it directly? Need help ASAP!

I’ve been through this hassle a bunch of times, and it’s a total drag when you need the WiFi password pronto. Don’t stress, there are a few ways to fish out that password straight from your Android phone without resorting to QR codes.

1. Device Settings (For Android 10 and higher)
    If you’re on Android 10 or newer, yo’ll find it quite easy. Head to Settings > Network & internet > WiFi. Tap on your connected network, and you should see an option to share via QR code. But at the bottom of that QR code screen, there’s usually a plain text option for the password. If your device doesn’t show it, unlocking your screen with a PIN or biometrics often does the trick.

2. Using File Managers (Requires Root Access)
    For an older Android version or more hidden details, here’s where things get a bit geeky. Yo’ll need your phone rooted. There are apps like ES File Explorer that make browsing system files a breeze. Navigate to /data/misc/wifi/ and open up the wpa_supplicant.conf file. You’ll see a list of networks and passwords. Look for your network’s SSID and you’ll spot the password nearby.

3. Backup and Restore (No Root)
    If rooting sounds terrifying, there’s another trick using Google backup. Sometimes when you restore your setting on a new device, it saves WiFi passwords as part of the settings. Go to Settings > Google > Backup and ensure “Backup to Google Drive” is turned on. It won’t show the password directly, but you can try restoring your settings to another phone to retrieve passwords.

4. Third-Party Apps
    Some apps claim to show saved WiFi passwords without root, like Wifi Password Viewer. However, google removed a lot of these from Play Store due to security risks. Be VERY cautious if ur going down this road, and read reviews to avoid malware.

Remember, tinker carefully, especially with rooting, cause it can void your warranty and mess up your phone if not done properly. If things still seem dicey, it might just be safer and faster to reset your router to its default settings and use the password usually printed on a sticker on it.

Good luck!

Are you serious? All these methods to get a WiFi password off an Android phone are a real pain! Why not just reset your router and use the default password? It’s usually printed on a sticker right on the device.

Look, rooting your phone is just a terrible idea for something as simple as retrieving a WiFi password. You risk bricking your device or voiding your warranty. Plus, messing around with system files like wpa_supplicant.conf sounds like a recipe for disaster if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing. There’s way too much that can go wrong.

And those third-party apps? Most of them are malware traps. Sure, they claim to help, but you’re just inviting trouble. Might as well hang a sign saying “steal my data” on your phone.

Restoring from a Google backup? That’s hit or miss and still might not even get you what you need. What happens if the backup fails, or worse, if it overwrites something important?

Honestly, the QR code method is there for a reason. It’s one of the safest and most effective ways to share WiFi credentials. If you can’t use it, resetting your router and using the default password is the simplest, most painless way to go. Forget all these convoluted steps. Just stick to what’s easy and safe.

Guys, I get it, dealing with forgotten WiFi passwords can be super annoying. @techchizkid and @codecrafter made some valid points, but let’s go through an additional approach or two that might help out and possibly even save some hassle without jumping straight to resetting your router, which is kind of an extreme step when there are simpler methods that might work.

1. Chrome Passwords:
Believe it or not, your Chrome browser might be holding onto that WiFi password, especially if you’ve logged into the network on a Chromebook or another device where you’ve used Chrome to save passwords. Head to the Chrome settings → Passwords → Search for WiFi. Sometimes when your Android is connected to Google Chrome, it can pull that info.

2. Third-Party Software (on PC and Mac):
If you have a Windows PC or a Mac that you’ve connected to the WiFi before, you can use it to extract the password.

• For Windows: Open Command Prompt, type netsh wlan show profile name="YOUR_NETWORK_NAME" key=clear (replace YOUR_NETWORK_NAME with your WiFi SSID), and look for the “Key Content” line.
  • For Mac: Open Terminal and type security find-generic-password -wa "YOUR_NETWORK_NAME".

These methods don’t require rooting your phone, but do require that you’ve previously connected these devices to the network.

3. Network Administrative Tools:
Have you ever accessed your router’s admin panel? Often, routers let you see connected devices and sometimes even passwords in plain text or at least allow you to reset the WiFi key without resetting the whole router. You usually access this via a web browser by typing in the router’s IP address, typically something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Once logged in (you might need the default credentials if you didn’t change these—check on the device itself or its manual), you should be able to navigate to the wireless settings and see or change your password.

4. Contacting ISP:
This might seem old school, but contacting your ISP’s support team often pays off quicker than you’d think. They likely have access to your router’s settings if the router’s provided by them. They can help you retrieve or reset the password, walking you through steps without bricking your device or downloading risky apps.

And while @codecrafter is right about the security risks and potential dangers of rooting, if you decide to go that route, make sure you follow every single step meticulously. Missing even a minor step can result in some pretty bad outcomes for your device.

@techchizkid mentioned third-party apps, but it’s crucial to emphasize the risks involved. If you do decide to try them, stick to well-reviewed options from trusted sources. Apps like WiFi Password Recovery do exist, but again, they often need root permissions and can expose your device to potential threats.

One last thought, sometimes, simpler often wins—if you have friends, family, or a neighbor who might also utilize your network frequently, sometimes a quick ask can be the no-fuss way to get that info back.

Finally, it’s helpful to write down these essential passwords or save them in a secure password manager like LastPass or 1Password for future emergencies. That way, if you forget it again, you won’t need to go through any of these steps.

Good luck!