What's the best data recovery software?

Accidentally deleted some important files from my PC and emptied the recycle bin. Looking for reliable data recovery software to get them back. Any recommendations?

I’ve faced the same panic-inducing situation in the past, and while there are several tools out there, you have to tread carefully. Not all data recovery software are created equal, and some of them can even make things worse.

A lot of people rave about Recuva, mainly because it’s free and somewhat user-friendly. It does a decent job if your files are recently deleted and the drive hasn’t been used much since. However, it’s not the most powerful option out there and can struggle with partial file recovery.

Now, if you’re looking for something a bit more robust, Disk Drill

has a solid reputation. It’s not just user-friendly; it comes packed with features that can really dig deep into the disk. Disk Drill supports a wide range of file systems (like NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, etc.) and even lets you preview files before you recover them. One thing I particularly like is its ability to pause and resume scans, which is handy if you’re dealing with a large drive.

For a more nuanced comparison, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and Stellar Data Recovery are two other strong contenders. They both offer comprehensive recovery options and have user-friendly interfaces. EaseUS is particularly effective for both quick and deep scans, and Stellar is fantastic for more specialized recovery scenarios, including SD cards and corrupted files.

That said, I would caution you on a couple of points. First, don’t install the recovery software on the same drive you’re trying to recover files from. You risk overwriting the very data you want back. Second, free versions often have limitations, so be prepared to upgrade if you absolutely need to recover critical files.

It’s worth mentioning that if you’re dealing with physical damage or more severe data loss, a professional data recovery service might be the best bet, albeit costly. In the end, the software you choose really depends on your specific needs and how much you’re willing to invest. Hope this helps, and good luck with your recovery effort!

If you’ve emptied the recycle bin and need those files back, you’ve got a few solid options. @codecrafter hit on some important points, but I’d like to add a few thoughts of my own.

First off, if you’re thinking about free software, I’d actually recommend checking out PhotoRec. Don’t let the name fool you—it’s not just for photos. This tool can recover a broad range of file types. Yeah, its interface looks like it’s straight outta the 90s, but it’s a powerful beast under the hood. It is open-source and covers a wide range of file systems. The downside? It’s not as user-friendly as something like Recuva. So, you’ll need to be a bit more comfortable with command line interfaces.

Another tool worth mentioning is R-Studio. It’s more advanced and comes with some serious recovery capabilities. This is more of a premium software, so it’s not the cheapest option out there. However, it’s particularly handy if you’re dealing with more complicated scenarios, like RAID arrays. Also, it has this cool feature that allows you to create disk images which can be super useful if you’re worried about further data loss during the scanning process.

Regarding the advice about not installing recovery software on the same drive—spot on. But sometimes that’s easier said than done, especially if you’re not tech-savvy. One workaround is to use a portable version of recovery software that can run from a USB stick. Many options, including Recuva and Disk Drill, have portable versions available.

Actually, let’s give Disk Drill another closer look. One of its standout features is the ability to preview files before you actually recover them. This can save you time and help ensure you’re recovering exactly what you need. Disk Drill is versatile, supporting NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and other file systems. They’ve got a detailed page on their features here: Disk Drill Data Recovery Software.

When comparing EaseUS and Stellar with Disk Drill, I think EaseUS has a bit of an edge if you’re dealing with smaller, less complex recoveries. Its quick scan feature is solid, and it’s a bit quicker than Disk Drill in my experience. Stellar comes into its own if you’re dealing with really tricky issues like corrupted files or specific media types. It’s robust but can be a tad slower.

One disagreeing note: though professional data recovery services are great for physical damage, I’d veer away unless you’ve exhausted all software options or you know the data you’re trying to retrieve is irreplaceable. These services can be exorbitantly priced, and there’s no guaranteed success.

Some extra tips: If you’re running Windows 10, make sure you try the built-in file history functionality before jumping to recovery software. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Backup and look for ‘Restore files from a current backup’. It’s not the same as the System Restore feature, so don’t confuse the two.

Lastly, once you’ve recovered your data, consider setting up a robust backup system to avoid future panics altogether. Regular backups on an external drive or cloud storage can save you a ton of time and stress.

Hope this extra perspective helps! Good luck.

I’ve been down this rabbit hole before, and to be honest, most data recovery tools are just smoke and mirrors. Sure, Recuva is free, but its efficiency is a major letdown. Disk Drill has lots of fans, claiming it’s versatile and easy to use, but don’t get too excited. While Disk Drill supports a bunch of file systems and offers file preview, it’s not foolproof. The scan process is sluggish, especially on larger drives, and the free version is basically a tease – you can only recover up to 500MB, which is laughable.

PhotoRec? Good luck if you’re not a tech wizard. The interface is so archaic it’ll have you questioning if it’s worth the hassle. Yeah, it’s powerful, but who’s got time to mess with a tool that looks like it was made for DOS?

R-Studio might be the powerhouse you’re looking for, but be prepared to throw down some serious cash. Also, its interface is about as user-friendly as a brick. It’s okay for RAID setups, but most home users don’t need that level of complexity.

EaseUS and Stellar? They’re just okay, but don’t expect miracles. EaseUS’s quick scan isn’t always quick, and Stellar’s recovery speed isn’t stellar—pun intended. Both can be pricey, and the free versions are more like a demo than actual usable software.

If you’re really in a jam, Disk Drill is my reluctant go-to, but set your expectations low. And for the love of all things tech, don’t install it on the drive you’re trying to recover from. Use a portable version or slap it on a different drive. Once you’ve clawed back your files, set up a proper backup system to never face this stress again.

All in all, most of these tools fall short in one way or another. Manage your expectations, and don’t be afraid to cut your losses and move on if it seems hopeless.