What's the best way to remove Spotify from my Mac?

Spotify has been acting up, freezing and crashing frequently. I’m thinking a fresh reinstall might help, but I’m not sure how to properly uninstall it first. Can someone guide me through the proper steps to fully remove Spotify from my Mac?

Having Spotify act up can be super frustrating. I’ve gone through a similar issue and found that a thorough uninstall and fresh reinstall can help. Here’s the steps I followed to fully remove Spotify from my Mac, in case it helps you too.

First, quit Spotify if it’s running. You can do this by right-clicking the Spotify icon in the Dock and selecting “Quit” or by using Cmd + Q.

Next, move the Spotify app to the Trash:

1. Open Finder and go to the Applications folder.
  2. Locate and drag the Spotify application to the Trash.

But that’s just half of it. Spotify tends to leave some leftover files scattered around your system. Here’s where you’d typically find these remnants:

1. In Finder, click on “Go” and then select “Go to Folder…” (or use Shift + Cmd + G).
  2. Enter ~/Library in the text box and hit Enter.

After that, you’ll want to look for the following folders and files related to Spotify and delete them:

• ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.spotify.client.plist
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.spotify.client.savedState

Make sure to check each of these locations. Sometimes stuff can hide out in other spots, but clearing these should do the trick for the most part.

If you’re not comfortable digging through your Library manually, you might consider using an app cleaner like AppCleaner. It helps find and delete all those extra files for you. But honestly, doing it manually isn’t too hard and ensures you get every bit.

Once all the Spotify files are gone, restart your Mac just to clear out any lingering processes. Then, go ahead and download the latest version of Spotify from their official website and reinstall it. This fresh start should hopefully fix the freezing and crashing issues you’ve been dealing with.

Good luck! Feel free to ask if you run into any more trouble!

Honestly, there’s no need for all this overkill. Trust me, I’ve been using Macs forever, and this kind of meticulous manual deletion is overhyped. Why not just use an app cleaner from the start? Less hassle, more effective.

Codecrafter mentioned AppCleaner, which sure, it’s fine. But there are many other options like CleanMyMac or even MacBooster. These are specifically designed to clean out those pesky leftover files thoroughly without you playing digital janitor. Who even has time to hunt down every single leftover cache and plist file? We aren’t all tech junkies.

Another thing: if Spotify keeps crashing even after a reinstall, it might not just be residual files causing issues. Could be a bug with the current version, or it might be conflicting with some other software on your system. Worth checking Spotify’s community forums or waiting for the next update before you waste time on troubleshooting like this.

Or just move to another music service. Apple Music, Tidal, etc., they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, and aren’t as glitchy in my experience. By the way, don’t bother restarting your Mac after deleting an app. It’s just another unnecessary step. The system is designed to handle this stuff without needing constant reboots.

In conclusion, let an app cleaner do the dirty work. You should be focusing on enjoying your tunes, not playing IT sleuth.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but don’t overthink it.

I’ve seen a lot of takes on uninstalling Spotify from a Mac, and it’s kinda interesting how everyone has their own approach. Just wanted to add my own two cents in this discussion.

First off, I agree with @techchizkid’s detailed step-by-step removal process. It’s thorough, and for those who aren’t strangers to rooting around their system files, it’s the way you’d make sure everything is gone. But let’s be honest here—not everyone wants to spend time hunting down every last cache file. For the tech-savvy out there, this might be satisfying, but let’s not kid ourselves: it’s tedious.

@codecrafter has a point too, using an app cleaner can save you from this headache. Sophisticated tools like CleanMyMac X or MacBooster not only uninstall applications but also pinpoint and sweep out related files hiding in different corners. That said, while these tools are convenient, they aren’t magic. They often miss some deeply embedded files, and in the rare cases they can even mess up with system prefs.

Now, let’s shift gears and talk about some complementary steps to really make sure Spotify is out of your hair if you are leaning towards a DIY approach:

1. Quit Spotify: Completely agree with making sure Spotify isn’t running to start with. Otherwise, you won’t be able to trash the app itself.

2. Applications & Trash: Dragging Spotify to the Trash and emptying it is a standard move. But, let’s not forget, some files won’t get removed with this step alone.

3. Check for Login Items: Sometimes apps sneak into your startup sequence. Go to [System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items] and see if Spotify is listed there. If it is, remove it.

4. System Processes: If you want to be real thorough, open up your Activity Monitor and make sure no hidden Spotify processes are lurking around. Occasionally these stay active and can cause issues.

5. Extra folders: Again, agree with @techchizkid here on hitting those Library folders. Apart from what was already mentioned, also check in:

• ~/Library/Logs/ for any odd logs.
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ for startup scripts.
  1. Manual Search: If you’re feeling particularly meticulous, do a Spotlight search for anything related to Spotify and review the results for hidden files tucked away in obscure folders.

What hasn’t been touched yet is making sure your system is generally clean. If Spotify continues to crash after a reinstall, you might actually be confronting broader system issues. Disk permissions, for example, sometimes get wonky. Running Disk Utility to “Repair Disk Permissions” might be a good move here.

Another overlooked but straightforward tool, is good old Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Spotify.app

And then whisk the following away, careful as you go:

• sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client
  • sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.spotify.client.plist
  • sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.spotify.client.savedState

Just be sure to accurately type those out. Any slip can result in removing stuff you didn’t intend to.

Also, don’t underestimate the “Security” angle. Sometimes, apps showing system instability can be a symptom of deeper security issues. Make sure you have all latest updates installed, as these patches often come with under-the-hood fixes.

Now addressing the elephant in the room: @codecrafter suggested forgetting about a restart. Technically, the system can handle most changes dynamically without reboots, but old habits of the IT world suggest it’s a good practice to clear out any leftover processes and services. Something practical to point out here, if you are dealing with glitchy third-party apps, a restart post-cleanup is never a bad idea.

Moving beyond uninstall, if you consistently have issues even after reinstalling Spotify, it might hint at compatibility bugs with specific Mac OS versions. Keeping an eye on forums or checking Spotify’s community for “known issues” might save you from redundant half-solutions.

I feel compelled to suggest an additional layer of troubleshooting: Safe Mode booting. Restart your Mac, hold Shift right away, and you’ll boot up with only essential system stuff running. Try running Spotify from here. If it behaves better, some other software might be butting heads with it in normal mode.

Hope this bit of extra insight helps clarify things! Don’t let the process bog you down; sometimes adding a sprinkle of effort beyond the basics can save a lot of headaches down the line.